University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) is the world’s largest provider of international qualifications for 5–19 year olds. It is a part of the University of Cambridge and a not-for-profit organisation.
The mission is to work in partnership with education providers worldwide to deliver high-quality and leading-edge assessment services. We aim to be the preferred international provider of assessment services in the world through harnessing potential, lasting partnerships, high quality, charitable status and innovation.
Developing successful students
CIE was formally established in 1998 to provide high-quality, leading-edge qualifications that meet the ongoing demands of employers and educators across the world.
They offer a broad range of internationally recognised qualifications, both academic and vocational, which we have designed to develop successful students worldwide. These include general qualifications including Cambridge IGCSE, Cambridge International A Level, Cambridge O Level and Cambridge Pre-U, a new post-16 qualification, plus a range of vocational Cambridge International Diplomas.
Working with governments around the world
CIE has worked in partnership with ministries of education, qualifications authorities and examination and assessment boards around the world for over 150 years. In some countries such as Singapore Cambridge examinations are the state qualification for students in secondary school. Tens of thousands of students take Cambridge O Levels every year.
In other parts of the world such as Botswana, Namibia and Swaziland, CIE has worked with governments to reform education systems, and helped to localise examinations by training officials, teachers, markers and examiners in curriculum development and assessment.
CIE is part of Cambridge Assessment, Europe’s largest assessment agency and a department of the University of Cambridge. Cambridge Assessment was established in 1858 as the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES).
The International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) is a globally recognised qualification, offer by the world famous University of Cambridge .
IGCSE,formed in 1988, It develops and encourages vital educational skills, including oral skills, investigative skills, problem solving, team work, recall of knowledge, and initiative.. The IGCSE programme has worldwide status and credibility. In India, the course is delivered in over 200 schools .. It is recognised by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) as being at par with CBSE, IGCSE, etc.
Schools worldwide have helped develop Cambridge IGCSE. It incorporates the best in international education for students at this level. It develops in line with changing needs, and is regularly updated and extended. Cambridge IGCSE teachers can draw on excellent resources, training and advice from subject experts.
How does the IGCSE compare to other programmes like CBSE, IGCSE or the Middle Years Programme of the IB?
Like other modern programmes, IGCSE offers a wider range of subjects and encourages high academic standards through a practical approach to teaching and learning. Assessment is not limited to conventional written papers and they consist of a variety of tests e.g. oral and listening tests.
IGCSE is a balanced curriculum and a flexible course of study.
Most subjects offer a choice between core curriculum and extended curriculum. This gives students of all ability levels the freedom to choose subjects that are right for them and, thereby, the opportunity to score good grades.
The core curriculum is an overview of the subject and is suitable for students who are expected to achieve grades C to G.
CIE offers a wide range of school programmes
IGCSE as a Middle Year Programme in DRS
IGCSE a Middle school programme at DRSIS-An integrated curriculum from grade VI to VIII and IGCSE from Grade IX onwards
Serve as a link between IB PYP DP
Group 1Core Curriculum
Group 2 Languages
Group 3 Vocational Subjects
What are the benefits ?
IGCSE provides a foundation for higher level courses,
Good IGCSE grades count towards entry to universities and colleges around the world
IGCSE offers students a flexible course of study that gives them the freedom to select the subjects that are right for them
Study and examination at IGCSE provide a broad knowledge base and learning skills that provide excellent preparation for employment
Recognized by CBSE, IB, IGCSE and other State Boards
- CIE is the world’s largest provider of international qualifications for 14-19 year olds
- CIE courses are offered by over 8000 institutions around the world
- CIE is part of the world-renowned University of Cambridge
- Each year we have around 1.5 million subject entries for Cambridge exams
- CIE candidate ages range from 5 to over 70
- CIE was the first board to develop IGCSE, which celebrated its 20th birthday in September 2005
- We produce around 8 million question papers each year (2.7 million for the June session and 5.6 million for November)
- Over 2 million scripts for general qualifications are marked by CIE each year
- CIE holds more than 800 training days a year, providing over 8000 teachers from across the globe with the skills and knowledge they need to help their students succeed
- More than 2,000 schools across the world, including more than 250 UK schools, teach Cambridge IGCSE
- Cambridge IGCSE is taken in over 100 countries (there are 350,000 entries a year)
- Cambridge International A and AS Levels are taken in over 100 countries (over 90,000 entries a year)
- CIE is the biggest provider of O Levels in the world and we offer more than 50 International O Level subjects. Every year CIE has 610,000 entries for International O Level from 76 countries